I have been wanting to do a filing cabinet makeover for almost a year now and I finally did it! I’m in love. If you’re anything like us, there seems to be a paper problem at our house and I’ve been begging my husband to let me get a filing cabinet. His response has always been “Filing cabinets are so ugly and ghetto.” So I made it my quest to do a fun filing cabinet makeover to make it “cool” in his eyes. First, I made sure to avoid the tall ones, and just got a 2-drawer. I figure if we end up needing more space I would rather have multiple 2-drawer filing cabinets than one huge tall one. I got this metal filing cabinet off the classifieds for $10 (woo hoo)! I spray painted it blue because it’s my favorite color, and also because we have a lot of accent blue in our bedroom in case I want to swap it out with my night stand (still have to warm up the husband to the idea).
Filing Cabinet Makeover: Painting a File Cabinet with Spray Paint!
I chose Rustoleum spray paint for the filing cabinet makeover job and the color turned out the most perfect blue! I first removed the hardware, washed and sanded down my filing cabinet, sprayed a couple of coats of metal primer, and then 30 minutes later came back and painted. Okay, I’ll be honest I haven’t done a lot of spray painting in my lifetime, meaning this project must be quiet easy if I accomplished it, but there are a few things I would do differently next time.
Filing Cabinet Makeover Tips
1. Watch the video I’ve attached on spray painting techniques (If you hate long and annoying YouTube tutorials, no worries: I picked a very short and professional one for you). The part about not spraying continuously or in random patterns? Yeah, I think that tip was for me. I might have ended up with a couple runs, but luckily I was able to fix it and make it unnoticeable. Well mostly.
2. Buy two cans. I thought I would only need one and ran out. If you happen to accomplish the task with one then you can always return the other, but one of my biggest pet peeves is having my project interrupted because I have to run to the store for more supplies. I guess I have patience issues.
3. Wait a couple of days to bring it inside. I was way too excited to get organizing and had my husband bring it in from the garage the very next morning. Luckily it’s in the basement, but that room smells strongly of spray paint. If you’re into that kind of thing–inhaling toxins and chemicals-then by all means ignore this tip. I’m extra cautious right now because of the little fetus I have growing inside of me..
4. Wear some gloves and shoes. I had a blue flip-flop line and blue fingers for a few days
I also bought fun filing cabinet hangers and folders in all sorts of colors! Let’s be honest, it’s a lot more fun to organize if fun colors are involved (at least for me anyways). I use the top drawer to file all my fun “mom printables” and the fun things I find on Pinterest so they don’t just get pinned to my boards and become forgotten for the rest of eternity. This is where everything goes that isn’t in my “mommy book.” Hopefully by the time our house is noisy and chaotic with numerous boisterous children, I will have a vast resource of printables and ideas for their entertainment. Subscribe to my blog if you’d like to be notified when I do a post including a bunch of free printables for moms and kids (I try to do at least one every month).
Look at those beautiful colors? Who wouldn’t be excited about filing when you get a glimpse of the rainbow every time you open the drawers?! Oh yeah, The bottom drawer is for the boring stuff…taxes, birth certificates, and so forth. Didn’t want to leave that out.
And while I’m being honest, I might as well admit something else: I had the help of an organizer. She’s below in purple. I did however discover that our views on “organization” differ quite a bit.
How to Spray Paint:
Now that I’ve accomplished this filing cabinet makeover, I’m a little excited to do some more things with spray paint!
Here are some Paper Purge Tips from storables.com to help out with your filing:
What has been your favorite spray paint project?
A HUGE thank you to those of you that shop through our occasional affiliate links that appear on Mother's Niche! It is of no extra cost to you, and I notice and appreciate it each time that it happens (really). Because of you, I might be able to avoid having to cloth diaper my babies, wash and recycle my zip lock baggies, and maybe one day in the future we will be able to afford a lawn mower. A girl can dream, right? See my disclosure policy for more info. Love you all!
Latest posts by Tina M (see all)
- Disneyland Tips (From Someone Who has Been OVER 150 TIMES)! - March 23, 2015
- Quick & Easy On-The-Go Snack Mix For Kids - March 18, 2015
- Kindness Gone Viral – My Dream - March 14, 2015