A little over a year ago a friend told me about a family tradition that they have. Their last name is Morgan, and every year, on the same day, they celebrate “Morgan Day.” It is a day dedicated completely to their family and having a really fun day together!
I thought this was a brilliant idea. There are so many random, made-up holidays these days, why shouldn’t we have one just for our family? So we started last year and we are looking forward to celebrating our family holiday again this weekend! We decided not to set ours on a specific day, but at a specific time, because we want ours to always fall on a Friday. So our family holiday is the Friday in the week before school starts! It mostly goes like this (with a little tweaking as needed): we go out to eat as a family (preferably somewhere we have never been before) and then we have a movie night and camp in the backyard (tent, sleeping bags, s’mores and all)!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Cracker Barrel. All opinions are 100% mine.
This year we are going to Cracker Barrel to eat because we pass it all the time and for some reason have never been there! It’s rated #5 of places to eat in our area, so I am super thrilled to finally try it. I’m also interested in checking out Cracker Barrel’s Retail Store, from what I’ve heard they have some fun gifts and products. I’ve read lots of reviews and am now craving some warm buttered biscuits! And my kids will be thrilled they can order pancakes for dinner!
At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Not sure if you should start YOUR OWN family holiday? Here are some reasons you should:
- Our world is getting busy. Life today is filled with so many distractions and obligations, that families are suffering. Anything we can do to make family time special will greatly bless our family life!
- Your kids will remember this day forever. Honestly, you don’t have to go all out to make your family day out-of-the-ordinary. Remember, kids find joy in the simplest of joys. Just the fact that they have a day to look forward to that is just for your family will be something that they always remember. Chances are they will even pass the tradition on with their own kids.
- Your kids will do better. When I majored in Family and Human Development in college, one thing that was brought up over and over and over was the importance of family traditions and how they benefit children. Traditions help give kids a sense of “belonging” to a unit bigger than themselves, and when this happens, they are MUCH less likely to participate in risky behaviors.
- Um….It’s fun. Even I am looking forward to our family day! Any excuse to party, I will take it!
- Other Families will be inspired. Remember how I said we started our own family holiday because we saw how much fun another family was having with theirs? Well, this can be you too. Make your family a priority and others will be inspired to do the same. We could all use a little more goodness in this life.