PEACEMAKER: a person who brings about peace, especially by reconciling adversaries. The person who literally makes peace! This type of person is so incredibly important in the world and in the family. How can you be a peacemaker? I have been thinking about this and I have come up with these 5 points.
BEING AN ADULT PEACEMAKER
- When there is a conflict do NOT assume you know everything or point figures. Speak kindly!
- Listen to both sides of the story and don’t take sides.
- Talk about the feelings that the children are experiencing and ask them what they can each do to make things right.
- After they have made amends, talk about what they can do before hand, the next time a similar situation happens.
- Praise them for the choosing to make things right. This is so important!
*Something that I do is when the home seems a little crazy and I need a little time to catch my breath, I walk into the garage or back yard for a moment. Most of the time only for a minute or two. It allows me to collect my thoughts and prepare for how I will handle situations.
At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
BEING A CHILD PEACEMAKER
- Share with others happily
- Be the first to say “I’m Sorry”
- Be kind and compassionate to everyone
- Help solve problems not cause problems
- Find ways to serve others
I have noticed that the days were I am really careful with my reactions and talk sweetly when problems arise I see that the problems are resolved quickly and once resolved, the peace remains longer. On the other hand, when I lose it the whole house is a wreck. It is so hard to get that peace back. So being more careful to be a peacemaker myself, the home is a happier place. Be a peacemaker and list 5 things you are going to do to be a peacemaker.
Get your printable HERE!
DAY 23: JESUS WAS A PEACEMAKER
To see the themes for the other days, see: LIGHT THE WORLD: 25 Ways in 25 Days
How has BEING a peacemaker blessed YOUR home?!