One day we will have central air.
But that day is not today 🙂 and due to warmer weather that is approaching (can I get a “hoorah!”?) we needed to turn on our swamp cooler the other day. Only here's the thing with swamp coolers. Ours has never smelled that great. As much as it gets cleaned there always just seems to be this “musty” swamp-cooler smell to it! NOT THIS YEAR! Listen up:
If you are fortunate enough like me to own a swamp cooler yourself, here's a great way to clean and disinfect:
At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
1. Make sure you replace the pads every year. This will make a big difference
2. We then followed the basic steps for cleaning a swamp cooler (on Ehow) but this year I filled a spray bottle with a mixture of vinegar and my favorite essential oils . I was so pleased with how our house smelled when my husband turned it on!
Here's what I put in my spray bottle:
- 10 drops of Purify Oil. This oil is known for eliminating odor and cleansing the air…both qualities you really want in a
- 15 Drops of Citrus Bliss. Okay, so you don't actually have to use 15 drops, but since I LOVE the smell of this oil, I went to town. I don't even actually know that it was 15 drops, I kind of just let it drip until I felt satisfied 🙂 If any of you are Jamba Juice fans, this particular oil smells like an Orange Dream Machine Smoothie. I use it for cleaning my kitchen all the time! It cleanses and disinfects, but it's also known for uplifting moods and reducing stress (and come on! what swamp-cooler owner out there doesn't want a little mood lifting??).
- (optional) You can add other oils like Lavendar or Peppermint if you like the smell, but I stuck with just those two.
When my husband turned on the swamp cooler, he walked in the house, smiled and said “do you smell that?” (He knows that I hate our swamp cooler, especially the “swamp cooler” smell).
But this time it smelled lovely! Clean and sanitized, and like Citrus! Hoorah for awesome husbands (and rockin' essential oils)! Sadly, the blissful citrus smell did eventually wear off, but it wasn't replaced by a yucky smell, so I am a happy camper! And yes, camper feels like the right word until we one day upgrade! The funny thing is I even had a hard time finding a photo of a swamp cooler that I could use for this post!
Is there anyone else out there still using a swamp cooler??
Please tell me I'm not alone….