We all want to get good photos of our children with as little pain as possible. But children are active and sometimes it can be challenging to get that “perfect shot” before tears are shed (I won’t say by who). As a mom I have noticed that pictures turn out best when you just go with the flow and let the kids be kids. Here are few tips that especially help the moment be successful:
- Take Photos of your kids in natural situations. If you try to pose your young children too much, they will likely resist or not respond how you are wanting, which will not only frustrate you, but also your children. Then everyone ends up grumpy and the photo shoot ends. Does it sound like I may have experienced this? 🙂
- Make sure your kids are fed. We all know that hungry children equals whiney children. Feed them. Always, always feed them first. And maybe use a treat as a bribe for when you are finished.
- Go Crazy. Don’t try to wait for the perfect photo before you click, or you might miss out. Instead, just click away and take lots and lots of photos. You’ll want a camera that can take multiple photos quickly so that you can catch those random fun moments. More on that below…
- Make sure your kids are comfortable. In our most recent photo shoot at the park, the kids got cold very quickly, so it only last maybe 5 minutes. Along with them being fed, you don’t want them to be too hot or too cold or they likely won’t cooperate too long.
- Get them laughing. If you are having fun, your kids will have fun too. You don’t want them to look back on the photo and remember mom being stressed out, or being told what to do. Make the experience something that they will have fond memories of.
- Take pictures in Good lighting with a good camera. My husband and I have been having a LOT of fun with our new LUMIX G7 Camera. If you saw my last post, it has a feature called “4k Photo Mode” that allows you to take a video, and then extract individual images from that video. Here’s an example of a bunch of individual images we were able to save from a video we took of our daughter jumping off of our front step:
Pretty fun, huh? Here’s one of those images up close:
At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
And here’s a few more images that we got from a video of the kids swinging at the park: What I love most about the LUMIX 4K Cameras, is that taking pictures is no longer stressful (or difficult) for me as a mom. We got several good shots in just a few minutes of taking video. Photography intimidates me because I feel like I never get a good shot, but now that stress is gone. I’m so excited about all the fun moments I can capture now and I am excited to buy some lens that will make the photos even better!
What tips do YOU have for a successful photos of the kids?