It seems there are a million mattress options out there….so if you’ve decided to buy a new mattress, you might be wondering HOW TO CHOOSE A MATTRESS?!
First off, if you’ve decided to buy a new mattress, GOOD FOR YOU! Not many people realize how important it is to sleep on a good quality mattress, as a good quality night’s sleep affects so many other aspects of your life!
If you’re trying to decipher between all of the options and choose a mattress that’s best for you, here is one mistake I would recommend you avoid, as well as some other tips for helping you choose a mattress that’s right for you.
Back when I was engaged, my husband and I went mattress shopping together. We were told to make sure and get a quality mattress, so we shopped many different stores and we asked questions. We finally decided upon a pillow-top mattress that seemed comfy enough for our needs. Being tight on finances, family members chipped in to help us get that mattress!
MY ONE REGRET. We hadn’t been married long when our mattress started sinking in the middle, and one of the springs made noise every time someone left the bed. It really wasn’t long before we realized our new mattress wasn’t as good as we thought.
How to Choose a Mattress 101: This is the problem with choosing a mattress in-store (which is the mistake I would recommend avoiding)
- You can’t actually sleep on it. You really can’t tell how good a mattress is if you don’t get to sleep on it
- No exchanges. Once you walk out the door, you are stuck with your mattress
- High Mark-ups. No matter what, if you buy a mattress in-store you are going to be paying more. Mattress stores have high mark-ups because they have to cover their retail space, salesman, marketing tools, etc.
Now that there are so many mattress companies that are cutting out the middle-man and selling directly online, there’s a great advantage for us as consumers to get a much better deal!
However, you need to still be cautious and make sure you are getting great value. If you do this properly, you can end up with a $3,000-4,000 value mattress for a 1/4 the cost. Avoid anything less than $500 though, because you simply can’t get a mattress with high-quality materials at that price. A good price is in the $1,000 range (add another $500 or so for a King). More on this in a minute…
First…How to choose a mattress firmness that’s right for you:
Firm or soft? How to Choose a Mattress Based on Your Sleep Position
Side Sleepers: Need soft to medium level firmness
Back Sleepers: Those who sleep on their back need a firm mattress for proper support to avoid back pain typically in the 4-7 range on the comfort scale.
Stomach Sleepers: Stomach sleepers need good support first and foremost, so that their spine doesn’t start to curve with the mattress, but most importantly, stomach sleepers need thin pillows without too much bulk. Stomach sleepers should avoid getting mattresses without any kind of springs. Medium to firm is best for stomach sleepers, roughly 4-8 on the comfort scale.
Okay….back to getting a good quality mattress for 1/4 the price you can get in-store: There are a lot of Mattress in a box companies…just because it’s $1,000 and it’s online, doesn’t mean you are getting the best deal.
You’re going to want something like a Voila mattress. I’ve turned down several opportunities to write about mattresses just because there are so many out there, it’s hard to know which ones are the best.
I got really excited about choosing a Voila mattress for our master bedroom because it’s different than a lot of the ones you see.
How to Choose a Mattress: Why I chose Voila
- It’s a hybrid. Usually, you have to choose between a the comfort of a memory foam (bed in a box, or the support of a coil spring (in-store)…but with the Voila you get the best of both worlds: the hybrid mattress. It’s one of the first hybrid mattresses to be compressed, rolled up, and put into a box to be shipped to a customer efficiently, making it the best value for your money.
- Not only have they upgraded the coil springs with pocket coils (completely reducing the risk of getting a stray spring in the back), but also they’ve added layers of memory foam, gel memory foam, latex foam, triple-layer edge support, and more. It has a 12-layer composition and also contains 768 individually pocketed coils to absorb motion transfer and provide multiple support point across your body.
- has the cooling airflow technology that no other boxed mattress has
- The different comfort levels was the HUGE deciding factor for me in getting the Voila mattress. I’m a side sleeper and was excited about getting the extra soft mattress (plush). The good news, is that if you and your partner have different sleeping positions, medium generally does well for most sleepers.
- The comfort guarantee is what really sets it apart in my opinion! If you don’t like your mattress within 100 nights, You can exchange to a different comfort level or return it. Read more on the comfort guarantee here.
TIP: The general feedback I have seen is that the firmness on the Voila mattress is more firm than they expected. If you are going back and forth between two firmness levels, I would advise going with the softer. The medium is more like a medium-firm and the firm more like a very firm.
- Breathable Mesh Fabric
- High quality Memory Foam
- Talalay Latex
- 768 Count 5 Zone Pocket Coils
- Triple Layer Side Support
- Available on any base (Adjustable, Slatted, Box Springs, Floor, etc.)
- 100 Night Trial
- Comfort Exchange
- 10 year warranty
- 3 Levels of Firmness to choose from (Firm, Medium, & Plush)
I hope you enjoyed this review on how to choose a mattress that best fits your needs! Happy mattress shopping!
If you do decide to invest in your health with a Voila mattress, make sure to use the affiliate coupon code I arranged for my readers. It’s SLEEPWELL10 and it will give you 10% off!