If you saw my post on Facebook, most of you already know what I am going to be grateful for today.
Rarely am I domestic enough to make dinner AND dessert at the same time…but tonight I was feeling awesome, so I did. Lasagna and Peanut Butter Fingers. Boy was my husband going to be proud of me tonight.
And then something happened. There was bright light coming from the oven, which was weird because I didn’t remember turning the oven light on. And then that bright light looked more like fireworks. I opened the oven door only to see that my oven was ON FIRE.
I wish I had actually been wise and known what to do, but instead I found myself frantically asking my husband ridiculous questions like, “Do you think we can blow it out?” “Should we put water on it?”
At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
A quick google search told me to shut the dang oven door, unplug the oven and hope to smother the oxygen away.
IF that didn’t succeed, everything I read told me to call 911.
I’m really grateful that the fire died out (after it burned and melted my oven coil-thingy).
So that’s what I’m grateful for today. I’m really glad I didn’t have to call the fire department because I really just wasn’t feelin’ it today.
In all seriousness, I really am grateful that I was home. I recently discovered the “bake time” setting on my oven and have left things baking when I was not at home in the past. Had that been tonight, our house would be gone. And I’m really not in the mood to be homeless right now.
So yes, this will be an added expense to our already taxed budget…but it really isn’t that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things and I’m grateful it wasn’t worse. And my heart goes out to those that HAVE had to watch their home burn down. That’s a trial I hope to never experience.