How many of you know that May is Better Sleep Month? And how many of you know that Americans are only getting an average of 6.7 hours of sleep, well below the recommended 8 hours!
Sleep is JUST AS IMPORTANT to your health as diet and exercise, but only 16% of Americans track their sleep compared to 41% tracking their diet and 43% who track exercise. Did you know that MAN is the only mammal on Earth that willingly delays sleep? That should give us a clue as to how critical good sleep is for our health.
I already know that I am a MUCH better mom when I have had adequate sleep, so in honor of Better Sleep Month, I have decided to make some goals for better sleep. Research says it takes 30 days to break a habit, so why not use Better Sleep Month as an opportunity to develop healthy sleep habits? I hope you will join along and make some changes yourself. Sleep Number is asking fans to share their commitment to better sleep using #CommitToSleepSweeps. If you share on Instagram or Twitter, you can enter their sweepstakes!
Here are my goals for better sleep:
- Exercise 5 times a week, but not within 1-2 hours before bedtime.
- Limit the use of electronics before bedtime.
- Use my bedroom only for sleeping. This will train the brain not to be active with other things when I am supposed to be sleeping.
Some facts to consider:
- Snoring is the leading cause of sleep disruption among Americans. If you snore, you may consider finding a way to stop so that you can get better sleep
- If you are a caffeine drinker, you might want to consider limiting your caffeine, especially during the evening
- Sleep deprivation can lead to overeating. When you don’t get enough sleep you can mess up your leptin levels, which regulate your appetite.
What are YOUR goals for #CommitToSleepSweeps?
And if you really want to sleep better you may want to look into the SleepIQ® technology which tracks your sleep and lets you know which of your sleep goals are actually working to give you better sleep. Sensors in the bed work directly with DualAir™ technology so there’s nothing to wear, nothing to turn on. I visited one of their stores a few weeks ago and they were able to tell me my “sleep number” so that I know exactly which level of mattress firmness if right for optimal level of sleep, and allows me to adjust the bed accordingly to my comfort level. It’s really awesome stuff!
If you want to find out what your own sleep number is, Visit the Sleep Number store locator and find a store near where you live. It’s totally free and it’s a fun experience!