Cold and Flu season is officially here! Has it hit anyone else’s house besides mine? Let me start by saying, I’m a believer in modern medicine. I go to the doctor when I need to. That being said, I have avoided SO MANY doctor’s visits because I try natural remedies first, and more often than not they have helped me get better and saved me money. Because my sister is always the first one I call when I need a natural remedy, I asked her if she would do a guest post on her favorites. This is her response:
AWESOME NATURAL REMEDIES TO ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR HOME
I have always believed in using natural remedies whenever possible to aid the body in healing. Sometimes the body needs more than that and it’s time to go to the doctor, but my mother always taught me to do everything I knew first that was natural before seeking help through antibiotics or drugs. Over the years, here are the things I have found to be the most useful and I always try to keep on hand:
- Lavender. This is one of my favorites. I even have lavender growing in my flower bees because I LOVE the aroma. I keep a bottle of this in my kitchen above the stove because I have found nothing better to dump immediately on a burn. It is amazing how fast it takes away the pain and can even prevent blistering. Also great for sprinkling on the pillow at night to help combat insomnia.
- Emergen C. We save packets of this for whenever anyone is starting to get sick or when sickness is going around. My kids love to drink it so I don’t have to fight them, it boosts the immune system, and I can “sneak” other immune boosters (like vit. D drops) in it without them knowing. My husband keeps packets at his work so he can drink it the minute he feels something coming on.
At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
- GSE (grapefruit seed extract). We get a dropper bottle of this and it lasts forever! It can be pretty potent stuff though so we often take it in our Emergen C or the best is with orange juice. This stuff really kills the bugs fast. My husband hasn’t had to take an antibiotic for strep throught since he started using this.
- Peppermint tea. I mix a little honey with this while it’s warm and give it to my kids when they have an upset stomach or vomiting. I swear it has worked better than anything to calm stomachs down. My daughter came down with the swine flu in kindergarten years ago and was vomiting very 10-15 minutes. After trying everything I knew, I thought I would have to take her to the ER for dehydration. Thankfully I remembered peppermint tea and started giving her a teaspoon of that every 10 minutes. She finally fell asleep and didn’t vomit the rest of the night.
- Hylands homeopathic calendula ointment. I use this instead of antibiotic ointment for burns, scribes, bruises, etc. helps to speed the healing and is very soothing.
- Papaya enzymes. These saved me on my last pregnancy. Took care of my heartburn all the way until week 37….then I had to resort to Tums. Helps aid digestion also especially for the times when I had gallstones. I would chew these before having a big or greasy meal and it helped prevent attacks.
- Probiotics. Oh, these have saved my life so many times. They have gotten rid of yeast infections, and also helped to relieve the occasional constipation for me or my kids. Great for the digestive system.
- Cod liver oil. Yep. Good old omega 3. I had no idea how wonderful this was for my body till my good ol doctor clued me in. This stuff is amazing. It has helped my over active kids focus better in school, it has helped my anxiety, depression,(especially right after having a baby) and is good for eczema among lots of other things. I put it in a syringe with orange juice and my kids actually beg for it every day….and they are PICKY eaters!
- Coconut oil. I finally started buying big tubs of this stuff because it is so useful. I only use extra virgin organic. It is awesome to cook with as it can be heated to higher temps than olive oil. Great source for energy, great for the skin, and great for babies. When my last baby had cradle cap, I rubbed some of this all over his head a few minutes before bath time to soften it, then used a soft brush to scrub his head when I shampooed it, then reapplied the coconut oil after his bath. Took care of that cradle cap within a few days! Honestly, there are just too many uses for coconut oil to list them all.
- Chestal homeopathic syrup. I use this in combination with Vicks on my kids feet and chest, and a humidifier. Works wonders for coughs. I only use it on my babies after they are a year old though as it has honey in it. Also, be careful to put socks on their feet over the Vicks, and don’t let them get it on their hands or face. Footy jammmies work great for that.
What are your favorite and most successful natural remedies?
A few more than I would personally add to this list, would be OnGuard essential oil and Throat Drops, and Breathe! I rub these oils on my kid’s feet with Chest rub and then I put socks on over it to keep them from coughing in the night. The throat drops are also awesome! I pop one in my mouth the moment my throat starts to tickle or feel funny, and so far it has kept me from getting anything (knock on wood). *Note: Typically if I’m just getting one or two things, I will order through Amazon because I have a Prime membership, so I get free shipping. If I am getting a list of things, sometimes it is cheaper to buy natural remedies and health products from Vitacost. If you have never shopped there, you can get $10 off your first purchase through this link.