Looking to spice up your meals this week? This is a sure fire way to do it. These wraps have a lot of flavor and very filling. You can make some small adjustments for your family's needs by adding or taking out ingredients people in your family may or may not like.
(Photo credit: ahintofhoney.com)
Southwestern Chicken Wraps
At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
This recipe, comparable to a small burrito, is a family favorite and easy to make! It does involve a bit of chopping, so be prepared to get in a good hand workout.
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and diced
2/3 cup green onion, sliced
2/3 cup red bell pepper, minced
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2/3 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 cup diced jalapeno peppers, seeded and rinsed (1 medium sized)
3 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley (or 1 1/2 tsp dried)
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic powder (or 5 cloves fresh minced garlic)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
1 tsp. salt
1/4-1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
3 cups shredded Monterrey Jack or Cheddar cheese
20-30 (6-8 inch) flour tortillas (depends on the size of your tortillas and how full you stuff them)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add green onions and bell pepper and sauté 5 minutes until tender.
- Add diced cooked chicken, corn, spinach, black beans, jalapeño, parsley, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cilantro, salt, and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes until well blended and tender. Remove from heat and stir in cheese so it melts.
- Spoon even amounts of mixture onto each tortilla. Fold in ends of tortilla, then roll tightly around mixture. Arrange in a medium dish, cover, and store in the freezer.
- Butter a baking sheet and place the frozen rolls evenly on the pan. Brush them with melted butter.
- Bake rolls at 375 F for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and the edges begin to crisp, rotating them every 10 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for several minutes before slicing in half.
Serve with guacamole, salsa and chips.
Makes 20-30 rolls.
(adapted from ahintofhoney.com)