Need a little something to get your summer started on the right foot? How do you prepare for 3 months of fun? I don’t think anyone can be prepared for EVERY adventure, but the last three years I have put together a Summer Starter Kit to cover most of the activities we will be doing together over the summer. It is the usual stuff I have to buy every summer- swimsuits and towels, goggles, homework book, summer journal etc. So, instead of buying things here and there throughout the summer, I wanted to be ready for anything right from the get go. I needed to get the kids excited about swimming lessons, outings together, family trips, and fun times around the house. I give them to the kids on their official first day of summer break, the Monday after their last day of school.
Summer Starter Kit for Kids
Here is a list of things I put in my SUMMER STARTER KIT:
• Swimsuit (If you haven’t heard of SwimZip, we LOVE them for kids!)
• Swim Goggles
• Flip Flops
• Cup (each have THEIR own water cup to use all day, instead of a new cup every 10 min)
• Flashlight (for bear hunts, indoor and outdoor night games and backyard camp-outs- My kids LOVE these ones)
• Journal and Pencil (daily pick a fun topic everyone writes about, then shares. If your kids are between 4-10 years old, these Question and Answer journals are the best!)
• Car Games/Activities (find some fun ones here, or Zulily usually has fun travel stuff too)
• Homework Book
• Activity Book/Coloring Book
• Summer PJ’s (We live in AZ and it is HOT. So, I get a shirt/shorts set or light night gown)
• Beach Towel (Our kids love the hooded character towels. We have the mermaid, shark and princess)
Additional items you could add are:
• Kite (the rainbow kites get the best reviews)
• Water Balloons/Squirt Gun
• Diving toys
• Ball/Frisbee (outdoor games your kids enjoy)
It probably seems like a lot of stuff all at once. But in our house these are generally things I buy at least once during the summer anyway. Flashlights are a must in our house. We use them nightly. I just grab the $1 flashlights they sell everywhere. They last a long time and it’s not a big deal if it break or get lost. We often play night games in the house- Sardines, Hide and Seek, BOO and Seek, make shadow puppets, or go on a Bear Hunt. To play Bear Hunt you simple choose a Teddy Bear, one person hides it and everyone uses their flashlights to hunt for it. We like to chant, “We’re going on a Bear hunt. We’re gonna catch a Big One. We’re not scared” (from the Book, We’re going on a Bear Hunt) at the beginning of each hunt. We love it!
At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
I found all the great activity books and games at Zulily.com! There are a lot of great products for summer on their website.
But the kids are not the only ones who need a kit! I am the one who needs to have all the essentials for whatever may happen when we are out and about. I stick my wallet and keys in my Summer Bag. I will most likely not see my purse again until the Fall. My bag has everything I need to keep things running smoothly.
Summer Starter Kit for Mom
I also make tote bag full of MOM ESSENTIALS KIT supplies:
• Hair ties
• Tylenol (for a adults and kids)
• Water Bottle (This is by far the best water bottle I have EVER used –and I’m a water bottle FREAK. Keeps your water cold for at least 24 hrs, doesn’t leak, and the spout is easy to drink from while lying down).
• Snacks (that don’t melt,)
• Phone charger/car phone charger
• Nail clippers
• Coins (a few places we like to go have pay meters)
• Baby wipes (because someone always need their face cleaned)
• Kid books (just 2 or 3 to help pass the time in long lines or waiting areas)
• Bug spray (for those evening activities when the mosquitoes come buggin’)
My kids are out of the baby diaper/bottle stage so I don’t need those things but if you have kids that age, add some of those needs to your bag.
I hope you enjoy all of your summer adventures and that the Summer Starter kits help you all summer long!
What do YOU think would be fun to include in a summer starter kit??