Photo credit: Homereserve.com
At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Photo credit: Homereserve.com
In an effort to aggressively save money for a down payment on a house, we recently moved into the basement apartment of a small but nicely remodeled home built in 1952. Yes, it is remodeled and they’ve done a very nice job, but no amount of remodeling can fix the very awkward layout of the stairs, low ceilings, and ever-so-narrow hallway. Walking through I knew we were in trouble. Sure, we’d be saving money, but what couch would ever fit down those stairs and make the sharp turn into the narrow hallway and out into the sitting room? Certainly not the HUGE hand-me-down set we currently owned. I immediately began searching for solutions. I needed a nice looking couch that fit in an awkward space and didn’t cost me an arm and a leg (we moved here to SAVE money, after all,) and did I mention that I have a two year old and a newborn? Yeah, the fabric needed to be easily cleanable. I googled, “narrow hallway couch” and the first thing that popped up was a company entitled, Home Reserve. They have an awesome concept– furniture that comes in a box so it will literally fit through almost any awkward, narrow hallway. And oh my goodness do we have an awkward, narrow hallway. I was super intrigued but didn’t want to get my hopes up too much. But I have to tell you, the more we researched it, the more we realized this was the solution to our problems. We ordered a couch and a chair and they are AWESOME. Here’s why:
1. Fits through narrow spaces: As I mentioned before, it was such a relief to be able to easily fit the boxes down our narrow stairs and through our narrow hallway. This was HUGE for us in our current situation. The couch came in two boxes and the chair came in one. Assembling it was actually really fun to do with my husband. We kept saying how we felt like it was grown-up Legos. The instructions were clear and all the pieces were labeled with numbers. I will say that a power drill made it way easier though. We assembled the couch first and then the chair and by the time we assembled the chair we felt like experts. It was WAY easier for us to assemble than Ikea furniture that we’ve purchased.
2. Fabric: They have over 100 fabrics to choose from. We ordered our couch in Energizer Graphite and our chair in Altima Aqua Pet Care. I wanted the chair to be a fun accent piece so I went out of my comfort zone and ordered the Aqua. I became increasingly nervous as I waited for it to be delivered. I was convinced that I had made a horrible mistake and it was going to be a hideous bright color that clashed with everything I own. (I should probably have my anxiety looked at…) But I have to tell you that it arrived and I was SO happy with the color! It’s way more subtle than I thought and such a beautiful pop to the room. My friend came to visit and immediately complimented the chair. The couch is great because it looks classy but doesn’t draw too much attention to itself but the chair fabric is the perfect accent. The couch fabric is not machine washable– you spot treat it with soap and water which isn’t ideal for our situation but I have learned for myself that the spot treating does work pretty darn well. The chair, however, is their special fabric designed for pets. It’s machine washable and anything that spills on it just pools up so you can easily wipe it away. As a mother of a two-year-old, this makes me very, very happy. I won’t go into details of just how we know this (you’re welcome,) but let’s just say my daughter broke it in that first day and yet it was so easy to clean. Looks brand new.
3. STORAGE!!! Both my husband and I were so excited about this feature. There is a storage bin under every single seat cushion. Genius! Why have companies not thought of this before?! With a two-year-old and an infant, I feel like we are exploding with things and extra storage space is especially appreciated. They aren’t huge compartments but certainly large enough to keep toys and a blanket or two.
4. Renewable: You can literally replace every single piece of this furniture. Every. Single. Piece. And they are all clearly labeled. Piece #37 broke? No problem, you can order a new one without having to replace your entire couch. Plus you can switch out the fabric if you’re going with a new color scheme or want a different texture. I noticed that they even have a cover for Christmas. They offer quite a few different styles of couches/chairs as well with the main differences being in the arms. Guess what? You can switch out the arms to completely change the style. It’s such a fun concept and perfect for non-committal people such as myself.
5. Customizable: My husband is still annoyed with me that I wouldn’t let him get the sectional option. I just didn’t know how much I’d love it and was worried it wouldn’t be comfortable. Guys, I’m being honest when I say that I love these. They ARE comfortable! My only complaint is that I’d prefer a couch that has a higher back but with the size of our room these are perfect and I’m surprised that I haven’t actually noticed that they aren’t higher. It hasn’t bothered me at all. Anyway, they have an option where you can make it fit perfectly to whatever awkwardly shaped room you are in. You just order the arms and the amount of middle sections that you need. A few years down the road, if you move into a bigger space just buy an extra middle piece and make it bigger! Again, such a great concept.
6. Comfort: See above but also I’m going to go back to this just to say that the arms of the chairs are foam on top of a wooden base. When we originally picked this design I had been worried about the possibility of my babies tripping and horribly injuring themselves on the corner. Not possible! I was so happy when I saw that the corner is actually foam. Yay for safety and yay for comfort!
I’m super happy with my purchase. Trust me, I’m not one to hold back when I am unhappy with products. For your viewing pleasure, here is a photo journey of assembly and the finished product.
Here’s one of the boxes the couch and chair came in:
Grown-up Legos! 🙂
Assembly was entertaining and surprisingly straightforward.
Storage under every seat cushion! Yay!!!
Finished products (forgive me, like I said, we moved into a basement and the light down here is the worst):
Moral of the story, I highly recommend Home Reserve, especially if you find yourself needing furniture for a small, awkward space. It definitely made our living room much classier.