Before your kiddo learns to crawl it is important that you child-proof your house….but where do you even begin? Don’t worry, we have a checklist for you! You will be able to breathe easy knowing that your house is all set for baby:
- Secure furniture that can topple (such as bookcases, dressers, etc.) to the walls.
- Install seat locks on your toilets to prevent drowning, or curious hands wanting to play 🙂
- Secure your doors with knob covers or door locks.
- Anchor TV’s with safety straps.
- Secure the top and bottom of your staircases with baby gates.
- Put latches on your cabinet doors and drawers. (I like to give my kids free range of one of my cupboards though. I fill it with safe, lightweight items and this seems to distract them quite well.)
- Keep your trash cans in an inaccessible cupboard.
- Secure your fridge, freezer and microwave with appliance latches.
- Put a lock on your oven door.
- Get in the habit of turning the handles of your pans to the back so that children cannot pull hot pans down on themselves.
- Keep knives, breakables, heavy pots, cleaning supplies, medications and other dangerous items out of the reach of children.
- Attach corner and edge guards to your tables.
- Secure the dangling cords on your blinds (I used thumb tacks-see picture>>>)
- Mark sliding glass doors with colorful stickers.
- Put locks on upstairs windows to prevent children from falling out if they lean up against them.
- Use outlet covers on electrical sockets.
- Secure appliance cords (these can pose a strangulation risk).
Some children may never get into some of these things and some will get into all of this and more! Hopefully this list helps you get the ball rolling, but isn’t comprehensive. Happy childproofing!
At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
What are some of YOUR childproofing tips?!?! We would love to add to our list!
***Please do not rely on childproofing so heavily that it replaces adult supervision (the above measures are only deterrents). ***